WASHINGTON, DC – The Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF) in partnership with the SHPE Foundation, U.S. Army, CVS Caremark Workforce Initiatives, University of Phoenix, and Southwest Airlines (the Official Airline) will host a Latinos On Fast Track (LOFT) STEM Symposia across America. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. The leadership and workforce development program is free and will provide guidance, opportunities and connectivity for students and young professionals in the STEM fields for their education and careers. The seven-city series will include:
- Miami, FL - March 22nd - University of Miami
- Chicago, IL - April 5th - University of Illinois at Chicago
- San Antonio, TX - April 19th - UT-San Antonio
- Santa Clara, CA - May 3rd - TBD at Santa Clara University
- New York, NY - October 24th - TBD at St. John’s University
- Houston, TX - November 13th-TBD at University of Houston
- Los Angeles, CA- December 4th-TBD at Claremont McKenna College
The events will feature:
● A dynamic and exclusive Leadership Training led by the U.S. Army. This Leadership training is designed to help student-leaders define their role within their organizations, and encourage them to seek out leadership roles in schools and communities
● An insightful panel of STEM professionals showcasing their different careers paths, and the resources and opportunities available for Latinos to enter the STEM fields
● An opportunity to Network with professionals and other emerging Latino leaders interested in STEM
● Sponsor Give Aways/Raffle: Attendees will enter a raffle to win a free round-trip Southwest ticket and with additional sponsor giveaways
“With America struggling to fill more than 3 million job openings in the STEM-related fields, we feel strongly that investing in high-achieving Latino youth is a solution,” said Antonio Tijerino, President and CEO of the Hispanic Heritage Foundation. “With more than 10,000 baby-boomers reaching retirement age every day for the next 19 years in the STEM fields, our LOFT program and sponsors understand the urgency of identifying, inspiring, preparing and positioning our workforce. There is no better place to focus than the youngest and fastest-growing segment of the population.”
Seating is limited. Interested participants should RSVP promptly at http://bit.ly/xTpUAE and submit their background or resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attendees will receive an event confirmation post registration. Food and refreshments will be provided.
About the Leadership Presentation
The training will include information about the seven Army values (Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage), and how these are used to create Army leaders. Participants will discuss the leaders that are influential in their lives, and will learn how these leaders become effective voices within their community. Using the "Be-Know-Do" model in conjunction with role playing exercises, students will learn how character, intellectual capacity and the manner in which a leader makes decisions, can influence a group. Participants will come away with a different understanding of what it takes to be a leader, including what it means to be Army Strong.
LOFT (Latinos on Fast Track
LOFT is a leadership and workforce development program which connects emerging Latinos to each other, to experts, to resources, to platforms, and career paths in STEM fields, business and finance, education, innovation, and other fields. Join the 75,000 Latino students and young professionals at LOFT Network at http://loftnetwork.org and follow LOFT on Twitter @LOFTInstitute.
The Hispanic Heritage Foundation
Established in 1987 by the White House, the Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF) is a 501c3, nonprofit which inspires, identifies, prepares and positions Latino leaders in the classroom, community and workforce to meet America’s priorities. HHF also provides Latinos in America with role models, cultural pride and a promising future through public awareness campaigns and special events. What distinguishes HHF from other organizations is a focus on helping “a Latino to help hundreds." Visit www.HispanicHeritage.org and follow HHF on twitter @HHFoundation for more information.
The SHPE Foundation
The SHPE (Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers) Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) working exclusively to develop educational enrichment and academic outreach initiatives, for Latinos/as, that extend throughout the pre-college to PhD pathway. For information please visit www.shpefoundation.org/.
Contact: Jessica Barajas at Jessica@hispanicheritage.org.